Find Your Job
Looking for flexibility in your work schedule? In search of your next career path? Seeking more competitive pay?
Explore your employment opportunities with Snelling St. Louis.
The Grant & Contract Accountant reports to the Chief Financial Officer, but may also take direction from the Accounting Manager. This position is responsible for maintaining programmatic general ledgers through the preparation of journal entries and reconciliations for monthly general ledger close and tracking funding and reconciliation of various housing and energy assistance type programs. Assist in the preparation of all programmatic monthly billings, and ensure that all deliverables comply with regulatory guidance and professional standards. Reconcile accounts receivable, deferred revenue, and other accounts as assigned. Provide assistance to the Chief Financial Officer and Accounting Manager with external audit and Programmatic examinations. Assist with special projects assigned by management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares financial statements/billings/special reports for all programs in accordance with programmatic guidelines and GAAP.
- Prepares all government statistical reports on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- In coordination with monthly account analysis, prepares monthly recurring journal entries for revenue accounts.
- Assists in the processing and development of procedures for standard operations of programs according to contracts, guidelines, and regulations.
- Supports staff entry of internal and external information for a resource/referral directory of services.
- Processes Energy Assistance transactions, validates and approves payments for processing; creates batch reports and check requests for payment; and denotes payment in MIS system when patches are paid. Updates energy balances spreadsheet and maintains the balance of remaining contract funding.
- Compiles programmatic standards and accurate reports from the database for funders and other Agency documentation needs.
- Assists with program operations and release of program participants’ information, guidance, and referral between programs and outside agencies.
- Assists in coordinating Agency programs, as needed.
- Prepares monthly General Ledger account analysis.
- Balances petty cash.
- Assists CPA firms in their annual audit and other projects.
- Completes cost analysis, both regular and special, as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
- Cooperates with public accountants appointed as auditors in the execution of their program of independent auditing.
- Assists with the operation and control of an effective budgetary system, including programmatic budget preparation and reporting.
- Prepares financial analysis, both regular and special, as may be assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree, or at least five years of work experience in accounting or finance
- Experience with a non-profit organization is preferred.
- Must be bondable--references required.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft applications and third-party applications
- Expanded knowledge and experience in computers and information systems software and equipment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to relate to program participants, employees at all levels, and the public
- Must have own transportation and be willing to travel throughout the St Louis metropolitan area. Some out-of-town travel may be required.